I recently bought the new Estee Lauder Blockbuster set from Douglas at a very good price (with the 20% off on Douglas Day, I only paid about EUR 70). I had been eyeing the set since last year’s edition, but I could not find any swatches online, so I was not sure if it was worth it. This year, I decided to take the risk and also do a first impressions review with swatches – I hope it helps!
The set comes in a very nice box, so if you want to offer the set as a gift, you don’t need to worry about packaging:
All cosmetics are placed in a train case, which I think is very useful when travelling by car (maybe for a week-end trip to the mountains), as you could put there all your cosmetics. Still, I find it is not so practical when travelling via plane, as it takes too much luggage space.
The set includes the following items:
- Palette with 12 Pure Color Eyeshadows (0.4 g each) and 2 Pure Color Blushes (2.3 g each)
- Palette with 3 Pure Color Glosses (1.2 g each)
- 3 Pure Color Lipsticks (3.8 g each)
- Pure Color Intense Kajal Eyeliner (1.11g)
- Sumptuous Extreme Lash Multyplying Volume Mascara (8ml)
- Advanced Night Repair Syncronized Recovery Complex II (7ml)
- Revitalizing Supreme Global Anti-Aging Cream (7ml)
- Gentle Eye Makeup Remover (100ml)
And now it’s time for the swatches:
My first impressions on this set:
- The most impressive part for me were the eyeshadows. They did not give me a “wow”-effect when swatching, as they are not shockingly pigmented and the colors don’t appear so special, but when you apply them on the eyes, they are amazing! I have never tried an Estee Lauder eyeshadow before, and I really like how they blend together and compliment each other. The palette has mostly natural colors, so suitable for going to school or work, but it also includes some discreet pops of color, that look really great when applied, without that “in your face” effect. So it is great for those that want to add a special touch to the eye look, without going overboard with color.
- The blushes are very natural, one more peach and the other on the pink side, so at least one of them should flatter every skin tone from light to medium, as they might not show up on darker skin tones. One disadvantage I found is that the blushes are not large enough for an average blush brush, so application will take you a bit more time.
- The lipglosses are on the sticky side and for me they are too discreet by themselves, so I will only use them in combination with the lipsticks.
- The lipsticks are very creamy and the colors are very natural (yes, even the darkest one, Rose Tea, appears very day-time appropriate to my NW 20/25 skintone). The lightest one, Vanilla Truffle, will be quite tricky for some lighter skintones, I will only use it in combination with a lipgloss, when I have a heavier eye look. My favorite is by far the pink one, Candy, I think it will be perfect for spring/summer, when you don’t want to think too much about what what you put on your lips, but still want to look put together. They are not very long wearing, but they don’t dry the lips, so it’s a good balance in my opinion.
- The eyeliner pencil is nothing special, I am more a fan of the gel liners or using a matte black eyeshadow, but I will try to apply it smoked on top of the eyeshadows, so that it gives the eyes more depth.
- I haven’t yet tried the mascara and makeup remover, but they have very good reviews, so I suppose they are pretty good. The same goes for the serum and moisturizer, but I tried some other ones from Estee Lauder in the past and I really enjoyed using them.
All in all, I think it is a very good set, worth the money (especially if you get a store discount on top!) so if you like the eyeshadows and lipsticks or mascaras from Estee Lauder, I think it offers a very good value for money and also gives you the opportunity to try other stuff from this brand (for example I would not pay the standard price for the eye makeup remover, but I am happy to try it).
I for one am really excited about this set, it exceeded my expectations!